Wednesday, September 15

Texas Accent

So I had to call a company in the Northwest to schedule some CPT action for one of my projects. I don't have all that much experience scheduling drillers of any kind so it makes me a little nervous. Hey, I'm an engineer...social awkwardness is a strong suit for me. The CPT guy answers the phone...and lo and behold, I had a Texas accent. I didn't mean to do it...it just came out of my mouth. I was throwing out "y'all" left and right. Every word laced with the thick Texas drawl I had always wanted but never thought I had. It would've been awesome...except it wasn't because it seemed to be a result of my nervousness in speaking with a stranger and dealing with an unfamiliar process. It took me a couple of hours to shake the accent entirely. My cube neighbors mocked me...it was that bad. I couldn't believe it when I heard the sounds coming out of my mouth. So embarrassing! I am just grateful that "use'ta'could" didn't tumble out of my mouth. I am hoping that "might could" didn't slip out either. I was teased about saying "fixin' to" but I don't remember using that one...although I wouldn't put it past me since I use it when I have my typical non-accent working for me.

Have I developed an odd defense mechanism? Is this how I deal with stress? By falling into a Texas accent I didn't have the ENTIRE time I lived in Texas? Go figure...

1 comment:

Ms. Blossom said...

Funny. I just forget how to speak entirely when I'm nevous. So, I think you're at least better off than I am. :)

I like your blog!