The conference was held in a coastal city/town called Guaruja, just an hour and a half or so south from Sao Paulo. The conference hotel was a beautiful resort located right on the beach (see awesomeness below).
Unfortunately, May is almost winter time in the southern hemisphere and, although the weather was fantastic (80 degrees all the time), the sun set at 5ish pm. Plus clouds began to form around 3 pm. So beach-time was extremely limited...especially if you were supposed to actually be attending the conference. But I made time for the beach at least once. And it was well worth it... "Beautiful! Gorgeous! Wish you were here." (quick! what movie is that line from?)
I got to hang out with John and met his fiancee, Ingrid.
I also got to catch up with John, who I hadn't seen since he and Becky moved to New Zealand.
It was even nice to avoiding my advisor...brings back such good memories of grad school. ;-)
[Note: There were 3 Johns when I started PhD school at UT. Imagine how confusing that was. Last names or full names...the only way to go. However, this is the internet so last names/full names aren't gonna work so just go with it.]
I will tell you one thing about this conference...or maybe Brazil in general. The beer flowed like water. The exhibition hall had booths with kegerators. Every event had unlimited free (!) booze. It was pretty impressive really. And the lots-o'-beer led to difficulty waking up in the morning. But I did my best. The party on the last night of the conference was tons of fun as well. They had dancers (style unknown...but some type of latin moves that I could never do) as entertainment...but the real entertainment was when they pulled my advisor, and then later, John, out on the dance floor. Check it!
Blackmail material...just kidding. But I did share with Becky, who teased him endlessly. Later in the evening, when the show was done, the dance floor filled up and I was in the mood to dance and so dance I did. Soooo much fun. I need to go again...soon!!
Unfortunately, I had to present my paper in the first session the next day so I couldn't go all out...probably better that way. My presentation went all right. I was a little nervous...even more so than I usually am because of the way the room was setup. I like being able to have a screen in front of me while I face the crowd but they only had the projector so only stuff behind me. And then add a microphone to the mix and you get me stuttering and stammering. But I survived and conveyed my message clearly. Even got some interesting questions... Anyhoo, that was that and it was time to head home.
The bus ride from the airport in Sao Paulo to Guaruja took ~2 hours. So keeping this in mind, I got myself on the bus that left a little over 4 hours before my flight. Apparently, traffic sucks in that region...particularly around rush hour(s)...didn't even think about it but the bus people sure should have. Anyhoo, long story short...the bus got there pretty much one hour before my flight. I threw myself into the bus's luggage storage compartment to grab my bag because they were taking too long and I didn't want to miss my flight...like many others already had by that point. I grabbed my suitcase, ignoring the "please, ma'am, get out of there"-like comments I was getting, and ran to the extreme opposite side of the terminal (of course) to check my bag. I barely made it. Checked it at exactly one hour before...right when they cut you off. Then I ran to security and immigration. Thank goodness lines moved quickly and were relatively short. And apparently the foreign travelers had the shortest line through immigration/customs. I got to my gate just as they called my row. Perfect timing but wayyyyy too close for my own comfort. I was a mess by that point and could not sleep on that overnight, 10-hour flight. Which sucked because I was extremely exhausted by the time I got home. But it all turned out well and I successfully returned from Brazil.
So quick summary: Brazil...gorgeous country, crazy traffic, lots of good booze, definitely go with friends and get someone else to pay for it (shhhhh). I'd definitely go back.
3 comments:
Looks beautiful! As much as I love Colorado, I really miss being able to go to the beach. Think I could take Stefano into getting a beach condo? Or at least a timeshare???
As long as I can come with!
John says you are dead to him ;)
Post a Comment